Pages

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

My second day of clinicals!

Today was way better than yesterday. The CNA I was with yesterday apologized for her behavior yesterday and was friendlier today.
The CNA I was shadowing today was really friendly and actually let me help her. I learned a lot and had fun too!
I got to do a shower for a resident. The CNA just gave me tips and was on stand by in case we got into trouble. It went really well and thanks to my Cosmetology skills the resident really enjoyed the shampoo. My teacher was also there and I got to have that skill marked off as done properly! That was a great feeling.
While I was collecting the trash from the rooms Physical Therapy let me pivot a resident back into bed! He said I did a really good job and he gave me a lot of pointers for working with people way taller than my 5'2" self. The resident even said I did it smoothly and didn't cause them more pain. Sadly, my teacher wasn't there for that one so it didn't get marked off.
Toward the end of my day I got to help a very nice resident to the dining room and I learned about what life was like back in WWII times. It was fascinating and it made me want to get back to sewing even more. Then I got to help a different resident eat lunch. They didn't need much help, but it felt good to make a positive difference in their day.
I still saw things that weren't "by the book" and a few that shouldn't happen, but today was definitely better than yesterday. I reported the wrongs to my teacher like I'm supposed to. It's a bit weird telling teacher, but she has the power to make a change and I don't.
I can't wait to see what tomorrow will be like. I'm really enjoying the residents and learning about them, but I'm still not sure what kind of aide I want to be. A part of me is leaning toward going to the hospital and being a PCT; another bit wants to become a restorative aide and work in Physical Therapy; and then there's the option of being a straight CNA in a long term facility.
No matter what type I become I'm glad I know that I want to go to school to become and RN as soon as I can save up the money. The type of aide I become will help me determine the type of nurse I become so it's an important decision, but it's still changeable.
Wish me luck, and if anyone has helpful tips or good ideas let me know!
Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like things are moving along nicely for you! My dad lives in a nursing home and the CNAs are wonderful, I couldn't be more thankful, especially since I live too far to visit him nearly as often as I'd llke. Good luck with your decision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad your dad is in a great place! I hope I make a good CNA like that. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete