Pages

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

What have I done lately?

To cheer up I decided to watch a documentary on Netflix. My husband was out of town and I was feeling a bit blah about things. The one I chose was "The Saint of 9/11". All I wanted was an uplifting story to  cheer me up a bit. I got more than I bargained for.
   Goddess must have been guiding me even as She laughed because usually I would pick a horror movie but something about the cover picture made me stop and watch it.
  It's a good movie, if a bit sad. It's a homage to Fr. Mychal Judge who was the first official registered death of the twin towers. It's a story of a man who served his firefighters and his community literally to the end. The people who knew him told stories about him such as the friend who gave him a coat only to have him give it to a homeless person on his way home. One of the parts that touched me the most was when they showed the clip of the sermon he gave the day before he died. That really hit home.
   So now I'm wondering if I personally do enough to help others. Am I staying true to the entire purpose of starting my own salon? I left CC because they wouldn't let me help others the way I felt I should. I wanted to do in shelter free cuts and things like that and they wouldn't do it.
Slivers Salon is founded on the fact that people need a sliver of hope in order to keep going. Now I ask if I am doing enough. I haven't done a free cut in over two weeks and that is sad, I haven't had anyone come in who needed one and I've been to busy trying to get people in that pay to go out and get them.
   Maybe I was guided to that movie to wake up and realize that I may be straying a bit off center and I need to get back on track. So the questions I ask now is who have I touched today? How have I made the world a better place? What can I do next?
   I'm glad I found that movie.


3 comments:

  1. This post makes the world a better place by reminding us that there are people in our community (where-ever we are) who could do with a little help. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful inspiring movie. Sometimes we touch people and don't even know it. You have a kind heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did some research on him and I wish I could have met him. He sounded like a really great guy. He really stood up for his beliefs.

    ReplyDelete